So Close…

Dartmouth’s DMR from left to right: Megan Krumpoch, Alexi Pappas, Abbey D’Agostino, Christina Supino, and Coach Mark Coogan

Last night, the Dartmouth women distance medley relay had a goal to reach the automatic qualifier for NCAAs in one of the most competitive DMR line-ups of the year, which included Arkansas, Tennessee, BYU, and league rival Princeton at the New Balance Collegiate Invitational.  On paper, the goal seems achieveable, so they told the Dartmouth student newspaper.

By the anchor leg, Alexi Pappas (1200m), Megan Krumpoch (400m), and Christina Supino (800m) had done well enough to place Abbey D’Agostino in 5th place.  D’Agostino ran the fasted mile of the night, running a 4:34.8 to bring Dartmouth to 2nd place and edging out Connecticut 11:05.67 to 11:05.77.  The time breaks Dartmouth’s previous school record of 11:16.02 set last year. Arkansas won the event in 11:01.01.  Princeton’s squad (Greta Feldman, Eileen Moran, Kristin Smoot, and Alexis Mikaelian) finished 6th in 11:17.93.

Unfortunately, it was only Arkansas who surpassed the automatic standard of 11:03.50 that evening.  Dartmouth’s time is currently 7th in the country.  If the time remains in the National top 16 or if the team improves their time that beats the automatic standard, then Dartmouth will be heading off to Nationals.

Other New Balance Collegiate Invitational results from Friday night:

– Columbia placed two runners in the top 5 of the Women’s 5000m Championship.  Caroline McDonough finished 3rd in 16:26.62 (currently 7th in the nation) while teammate Emily Lanois finished 4th in 16:33.63.

– Columbia’s Liam Tansey placed third in the Men’s 1000m Championship in 2:25.70.

– Columbia’s Marvellous Iheukwumere ran a new personal best in the 60m, 7.56, to place 27th in the preliminaries.  The time is the 6th fastest in conference history.

– Penn’s Paige Madison finished 12th in the Women’s 400m College race with a new season’s best of 56.98.

Meanwhile, Harvard won the crowns to declare themselves “The Best in Boston” by winning the Battle of Beantown meets.  Two new school records were set as frosh Jarvis Harris (60HH – 8.11) and Alexandra Pace (PV – 12-6) won their events by large margins.  The highest scoring event for either gender was the shot put, as Shannon Watt (47-3.75) won the women’s event and Ben Glauser (58-6) led a 1-2-4-5 finish for the men with Dustin Brode, Igor Liokumovich and Edward Brucker.

At Yale’s Geigengack Invitational, Yale dominated the men’s 5000m as frosh Isa Qasim (14:52.41), Matthew Thwaites (14:54.04) and Kevin Lunn (14:55.29) claimed the top three spots.  Mike Levine was the other Bulldog event winner of the evening, winning the weight throw with 55-4.25.  Matthew Bieszard (200m – 22.24) and Dana Lindberg (LJ – 22-9.25) were edged out of the top spot in their respective events.  For the women, Emily Cable (200m – 25.33) and Amanda Snajder (LJ – 17-3.25) placed 2nd in their respective events.

2 Responses to “So Close…”

1. ?????? says:

7.56 in the 60m is 6th fastest in conference history?