This is a very busy time of year on both the national and international track and field circuits. Here’s what is going down these next few days:
* Early this afternoon, the NCAA Regional Qualifiers will be announced. It is possible to have nearly 100 Ivy Leaguers, 2 Ivy alumni graduate students, and 2 relay teams qualify for the Regional meets that take place next week. If these athletes place in the top 16 at Regionals, then they have qualified for the national meet at Drake University from June 7th through 9th. We will post the qualifiers later this afternoon.
* On Saturday , the next addition of the Samung Diamond League Track and Field series will take place in Shanghai, China. According to the entry lists, our own Samyr Laine will be representing Haiti in the triple jump. Also, the IAAF is running a fantasy league this year, where fans can pick the athletes for a fantasy team. The team will earn points based on the athletic performances at the different Diamond League meets. It is free. HepsTrack is currently sponsoring a little league, where currently, Alejandro Shepard’s “Splendid Steeplechasers” leads the standings. Check the photo, he’s gearing up for this weekend. Feel free to join us (look for the league pin 111928)! But head’s up: you will need to fill out your squad before 5:30 AM EST on Saturday in order for your picks to count for this meet.
* Meanwhile, if you happen to live on the West Coast, we HIGHLY recommend making any and all efforts to go to Occidental College in Los Angeles, CA as the most competitive meet on American soil outside of NCAAs and the Olympic Trials will take place. The USATF Oxy High Performance Meet is going to be loaded with athletic talent who will be chasing the Olympic Trials and Games standards. How do we know? Take a look at the start list and the Ivy matchups below:
But if you can’t find a way to get to LA, head over to flotrack as they will be doing a live stream of the meet, beginning around 9:20 EST on Friday.
* The New Balance Boston Twilight Series started last weekend (with Dartmouth and Brown being active participants in the first meet, including Coach Mark Coogan doing a respectable job in the long and triple jumps) and continue this weekend in Lowell, MA. Rumor has it that Lindsey Scherf will race the 10k this weekend in order to meet the Olympic Trials standard.
* If the marathon is more of your taste, Sage Canaday is the one of the male headliners for this year’s Rock ‘n’ Roll Half Marathon in Portland, OR.
We try to keep everyone up-to-date this weekend on results and any qualification news.