Next Up: Regionals
East Regional Schedule | Men’s Startlist | Women’s Startlist | Heps in Jacksonville
The NCAA Regional meets begin on Thursday, and last night, the start lists were released.
The Regional meets act as the trial rounds for the National Championship, which will be held at Drake University in Des Moines, Iowa, June 6-9. The top 12 athletes and relay squads in each event at the Regional meets will make the trip to Drake.
The trial rounds vary for each event:
- The sprints (up to 800m) and hurdle events will have 6 heats in the trial round on Day 1. The top 3 in each heat and the next 9 fastest qualify for the quarterfinals, which will be held on Day 3. The quarterfinals will have 3 heats, where the top 3 and next 3 fastest get to move on to the semifinals at Drake.
- The 1500m trials will have 4 heats on Day 1. The top 5 and the next 4 fastest qualify for the quarterfinals on Day 3. In the 2 heat quarterfinal round, the top 5 and next 2 fastest get to move on to the semifinals at Drake.
- The steeplechase and relays will just have one round at Regionals. There will be 3 heats, where the top 3 and next 3 fastest qualify for the semifinals at Drake. The steeplechase will be held on Day 2 while the relays will be run on Day 3.
- The 5000m heats on Day 3 will act as the National semifinal. There will be 2 heats, where the top 5 and next 2 fastest qualify for the finals at Drake.
- The single 10,000m heat on Day 2 will act as the National semifinal. The top 12 will qualify for the finals at Drake.
- The vertical jumps will follow the five-alive format (details on the start listing) until the top 12 competitors remain. These top 12 will have qualified for the finals at Drake.
- The horizontal jumps and throwing events will each have 4 flights that make up the trial round. The top 16 performances qualify for the quarterfinals, where the competitors get another three attempts to improve their marks. The top 12 performances qualify for the semifinals at Drake.
According to UNF’s website, a webcast should be available for the Regional meet. See the Osprey website for more details.
Good luck to all athletes this week!