Nathan Crumpton image (more to come!)
Early afternoon on Thursday, we expect to learn more than 100 Heps athletes will be heading to Greensboro, N.C., for the Eastern Preliminary Rounds of the NCAA Championships. That will be May 23-25. The West Coasters will participate that same weekend in Austin, Texas.
Here’s a little low down:
• The top 48 declared athletes in the East will be accepted for competition in the 40 individual events (20 each gender). For relays it is just the top 24. And the NCAA wants you to know that the “stated maximums are absolute and will not be extended as a result of ties.” So don’t call them, they don’t like questions. Here are the descending order lists: MEN | WOMEN.
• The announcement of those accepted — including those combined event competitors who will be heading straight to nationals (no hep or dec at regionals) — will come by 1 pm on Thursday. That’s Eastern time.
• Getting to Eugene, Ore., requires a top 12 finish, for both individuals and relays, at the regional. The NCAA says “qualification, through competition in an event at a preliminary championships competition, is required to participate in that event at the final championships competition.” In other words, don’t call them.
• Those who have qualified from the preliminary championships competition will be announced by the NCAA on Sunday, May 26, by 5 pm.
• All seats at Aggie Stadium are general admission and there will be no online purchasing. So be ready to duke it out along the finish line. Will call orders may be picked up at the Sullivan Street ticket booths beginning on May 23. Tickets can be purchased by calling the A&T ticket office at (336) 334-7749. Weekend tickets are $25 for people between the ages of 17 and 65. Young and old get in for $15. Single day it is $10 for an adult, $7 for a youth, free if you are two-and-under (congrats on being able to read this at two). And it appears that the senior set has to pay full fare for a single day. Where’s AARP?
• More parking information than you will ever need: “Teams with vans may park in Lot A4 and enter the main gate which is located on the west side (press box) of Aggie Stadium. Buses will unload on Sullivan Street and continue to War Memorial which is two blocks from Aggie Stadium on Lindsay Street where they can park. Spectator parking will be located at Lots A3, A4, M4, General Classrooms and Laurel Street. Parking at the stadium for spectators will be $10 per day.
• The Eastern Preliminary schedule is posted here in a rather ugly form. We intend to pretty it up in HTML format soon, but right now a little dog needs a morning walk.