News & Notes Around The Heps Nation

ht-spring-har
The teams from Brown and Dartmouth have returned from Europe and Tim Springfield and Barry Harwick are left to fight over this cup. The dual squad of Big Green Bears won it in a dual with the team from St. Mary’s University in the London suburb of Twickenham.

One of the members of Dartmouth’s travel party returned stateside with the good news that he was one of just two people in the U.S. to receive the NCAA’s Jim McKay Postgraduate Scholarship. Jon Gault, a distance-running aspiring journalist will get $10,000 to continue his education at Syracuse, where he will study magazine, newspaper and online journalism. Gault worked at The Dartmouth, the college’s student newspaper, as well as several other media outlets in internship positions.

Gault did a little Heps’ reporting on Twitter the other night when we asked about athletes who will continue to compete as a graduate student at a different college next year. Gault reported that teammate Phil Royer will take his talents to the University of Tulsa. We know of three others as well — Cornell’s Kevin Johnson (Florida State), Princeton’s Peter Callahan (New Mexico) and Brown’s Kevin Cooper (Providence). If you have others, please let us know.

And, finally, Cornell high jumper Montez Blair begins his pursuit of the “B” standard, which he needs to compete at the IAAF Worlds in Moscow, at the U.S. Club Championships at Icahn Stadium on Saturday morning. Blair will need to get to 2.28 meters (7-5 3/4) soon to join Erik Kynard and Dusty Jonas on Team USA.

Some of the other Heps names on the entries for Club Nationals are Cornell’s Stephen Mozia (shot, discus), Columbia’s Sharay Hale (100, 200) and Erison Hurtault (400), Penn’s Michael Cunningham (1,500), Yale’s John Langhauser (shot), Princeton’s George Abyad (discus) and Brown’s Bryan Powlen (discus). If we missed anyone, please let us know. The event starts Friday afternoon and ends Saturday.

Back to Blair, after the Club Nats, he will head to Kazan, Russia, for the World University Games where he is the only Ivy Leaguer of the 20-member Team USA. Three others who qualified for the IAAF Worlds are on that squad — sprinters Octavious Freeman (UCF) and Charles Silmon (TCU) and thrower Jeneva McCall (Southern Illinois). Note to Tez: Good luck in Kazan and send us a photo!

Other than that, The Armory’s college schedule for the 2013-14 season is out. Coaches, if you want in, contact Jack Pfeifer.